The Incredible Value of Core Suppliers
Modus Advanced is a diversified company who helps take Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) from Idea to Ignition™ by converting high-performance materials into finished products. We solve challenging engineering issues through the use of EMI shielding; die-cut gaskets; microwave absorbers; noise vibration and harshness products; custom molded rubber and thermal interface materials.
So, Is Modus® a Manufacturer or a Distributor?
The answer to that is YES! Modus Advanced, Inc. is a manufacturer and distributor.
Why not just one or the other? Are these two separate business models? Let’s look at this and determine how you define the context.
The Modus® WHY is to enhance lives by helping Partnership Accounts accelerate the process of designing and manufacturing tomorrow’s innovations. One day matters.
Essentially, the broad why provides our business managers the latitude and framework to dig in, shoulder to shoulder, with their partners and customers to get it right the first time. While we would love to manufacture everything in Livermore, CA, and ship the same day we came to the conclusion long ago that it’s just not possible. And honestly, it would not be in our customer’s interest for us to try and do so. This realization led Modus® to adopt a hybrid manufacturing and distribution model and – the Core Supplier model was born.
The Collaborative Core Supplier Business Model
Although we didn’t invent the Core Supplier Business Model, we have created a version that works well for our customers. Let’s talk value first. Why would a customer want Modus® in the middle?
We’ve asked ourselves the same question! As a business built from the ground up to be the obvious choice for custom and highly engineered products, our fundamental role in the supply chain is to add value by collaborating with our customers. We help specify, source, and manufacture products that provide our OEM customers the ability to deliver on their promises. We often execute on this strategy by purposefully connecting our Partnership Accounts to our Core Supplier experts.
These connections happen in a variety of ways. Probably the most interesting to discuss are scenarios where and why our Regional Sales Managers (RSMs) determine connecting the customer experts to the Core Supplier experts is, by-far, the smartest thing to do.
If you have a minute, read this Case Study describing how one of our Partnership Accounts hit the wall again and again before reaching out to Modus Advanced. Connecting their expert with our Core Supplier quickly solved the problem giving our Partnership Account the ability to showcase a new piece of equipment at the World Ag Expo. A serious win for our customer and ultimately a win for all!
Believe me, we love to communicate via email and video, but neither medium can match the value of face to face interactions; therefore, we actually bring Core Supplier teams to our customer sites when expert-to-expert interface can be of benefit. This investment in time to sit side-by-side as a team, specifically focused on helping our customers accelerate their development, has proven to be well worth the time.
Why would you care about or want an onsite visit? Let us tell you why!
- This is an opportunity to delve into the many capabilities of Modus Advanced and how the Modus®/Core Supplier team adds value.
- Jumping straight into the discovery conversation, the Modus®/Core Supplier team is looking for ways to achieve your goals. We want to understand the big picture in addition to the smallest details.
- The discovery conversation is a knowledge transfer, what-if conversation, and a deeper dive into customer challenges.
- Our three-entity discussions between the customer, Modus®, and the Core Supplier are proven to be worthwhile and highly valuable. Challenges and potential solutions are discussed on the spot, and sometimes on-site, where a very clear picture of potential issues can be diagnosed. We have example after example of times that quality, delivery, performance and other technical challenges are overcome in these face-to-face interactions.
- These meetings culminate with action items for all three parties.
To sum up this value proposition, just think, engineering challenges solved on the spot! Speed and precision – that’s our goal!
Modus Core Supplier Lineup
- Product line: Tapes and adhesives
- 3M’s Value Proposition: 3M provides products that are engineered to make your product designs more streamlined and easier to manufacture. With thin bonding adhesive solutions, they are designed to join dissimilar materials without adding bulk to the design.
- How does Modus® add value: By helping engineers specify the best and most suitable material and adhesive system possible for their design. Value-added manufacturing provides the ability to work closely with our customers to stock the appropriate amount of inventory in our local warehouse.
- What problems do we solve together: We work with our customers to choose the best product possible to seal their electronic devices with the finest adhesives designed for superior performance and reliability.
- Larger industries served: Modus Advanced manufactures seals for general industrial in addition to industries which provide electronic test equipment, signal analyzers, satellite communications equipment, aerospace and defense, medical equipment, and transportation.
- Product Line: Rubber Vibration Isolators and Shock Mounts
- LORD’s Value Proposition: LORD vibration isolators and shock mounts set the standard for compact, high-load, high-capacity anti-vibration mounts. They are designed to support and protect equipment in all types of industrial applications.
- How does Modus® add value: Modus Advanced helps engineers specify the most effective LORD vibration isolator or shock mounts possible for their designs. Value-added distribution provides the ability to work closely with our customers to stock the appropriate amount of inventory in our local warehouse.
- What problems do we solve together: We are consistently looking to provide equipment reliability and operator/passenger comfort.
- Larger industries served: Modus Advanced works with companies who provide highway transportation, medical equipment, off-highway vehicles, agricultural equipment and general industrial.
- Product Line: EMI shielding and thermal interface materials
- Nolato’s Value Proposition: Nolato shielding solutions provide the highest quality and most reliable EMC in combination with the lowest total cost of ownership.
- How does Modus® add value: Modus Advanced works with engineers to determine the best EMI and thermal products for their designs. Modus® also owns the capability of providing time and cost-saving vertical integration in the form of the SigShield™ product realization process. Value-added manufacturing provides the ability to work closely with our customers to stock the appropriate amount of inventory in our local warehouse.
- What problems do we solve together: Modus® provides years of knowledge and experience shielding sensitive electronics. From RF to cooling and everything in-between, Modus Advanced has likely seen and solved it to provide better shielding performance and reliability!
- Larger industries served: Electronic test equipment, telecommunications equipment, aerospace and defense, signal analyzers, and satellite communications equipment for industries manufacturing sophisticated electronics.
- Product Line: Environmental seals, vibration isolation
- Roger’s Value Proposition: Roger’s PORON® polyurethanes provide durable, long-term performance in industrial and medical applications. The BISCO® silicone line is the world leader in silicone foams used for gasketing and sealing.
- How does Modus® add value: We’ve likely seen it and solved it! Our design team works with our customers to choose effective materials to shield sensitive electronic components from the environment, vibration, heat, dust, and water. Value-added manufacturing provides the ability to work closely with our customers to stock the appropriate amount of inventory in our local warehouse.
- What problems do we solve together: Our customers count on our many years of know-how and product knowledge to help them seal what’s meant to be kept in and what’s meant to be kept out. We strive for the best sealing performance and reliability possible.
- Larger industries served: Electronic test equipment, signal analyzers, satellite communications equipment, aerospace and defense, medical equipment and transportation are representative industries we serve.
- Product Line: Sound-deadening and absorbing materials
- Technicon’s Value Proposition: A leading producer of Acoustic and Thermal products, Technicon provides materials that absorb, block and isolate sound and thermal energy. They are innovators in the science of sound; developing noise control materials that absorb, block, and dampen sound energy.
- How does Modus® add value: Our WesCoustic™ brand of acoustical foams are engineered by Technicon Acoustics and are available exclusively through Modus Advanced, Inc. We work with engineers to deliver premium foam-based noise control and sound-absorbing products in custom shapes. Value-added manufacturing provides the ability to work closely with our customers to stock the appropriate inventory and made to order kits.
- What problems do we solve together: Acoustic vibration or acoustic energy (noise and sound) can be mitigated or eliminated with appropriate sound absorption techniques and products. The Modus® design team brings its expertise to noise and sound reduction solutions.
- Larger industries served: Modus® manufactures solutions for general industrial, aerospace and defense, medical equipment, on and off-highway transportation, and agricultural equipment.
Conclusion – Better Together
Working with some of the best and most reliable Core Suppliers in the industry facilitates our objective to be the obvious choice. Their investment in the development of new products and improving existing materials is crucial for our fast-changing global industrial landscape and separates them from their competitors. We value our deep relationships with these suppliers who enjoy trusted brand recognition for a reason. We can count on them so you can count on us.
Modus Advanced, Inc. works closely with our Core Suppliers to harness an almost infinite number of materials, parts, and manufacturing combinations to solve challenging engineering issues. Wait, I knew I forgot a variable or two. What happens to our almost infinite number of combinations when you also incorporate customer-specific requirements like certifications, tolerances, government flow downs, and special packaging? We’ve pondered over these questions as well.
I guess this is why our software developers created the Product Realization Tool (PRT-X). The PRT-X will become the cornerstone of how we execute on our why.
Why: To enhance lives by helping Partnership Accounts accelerate the process of designing tomorrow’s innovations. One day matters.
How: We bring together the best of human and machine intelligence in a product realization platform designed to produce superior results.